Sunday, November 29, 2009

Does marriage change people?

Does marriage change people? Most people will say that nothing you can do to get your husband or wife change. I think in terms of personality and characteristics, it is true. But recently, I found out that for some husbands, one thing is changeable. They will gradually get away from their old buddies and friends with whom they hang out most often will become their wife’s husbands. Although it sounds like a nightmare for most husbands, it is hard to deny it.
For me, it is a pretty interesting phenomenon. For most wives, it is almost impossible to become intimate friends with their husbands’ friends’ wives, but it is inevitable that husbands of intimate girlfriends will become intimate buddies. I asked my husband if my conclusion is true, he didn’t answer it but he started to name some of his male friends with whom he hung out most often recently, they are all my girl friends’ husbands. I also asked some of my girlfriends who live in different cities and countries whether they see the same phenomenon, they all agreed, which reaffirm my thought that marriage and relationship can really change a man through changing his friends. But later, I doubted myself. Is it wife who changes friends of her husband or their kids who does it?
All my girlfriends around me these years are mommies of my son’s friends.
Although I think that I still keep good contact with girlfriends I made in high school and college, it seems that hanging out with them becomes really difficult, except for those who have got married and had kids like me. In Sex and the City, when Maranda becomes a Mommy, she’s so afraid of getting alienated with the other three girls. Although in the show, she is lucky enough to keep close with her girls eventually, I don’t believe that it will happen to everyone in real life. In reality, our friends will somehow shift, from friends of ours to friends of our families.
Old friends might not go away, but family will bring new folks to coruscate our life. Just like my husband, he is pretty enjoying sipping beer and playing vacuous Wii games with other daddies of Marvin’s friends.

New Vocabulary:
coruscate: to give forth flashes of light; sparkle and glitter
vacuous: lacking intelligence; silly

No comments:

Post a Comment